Gaucho grill care and cleaning guide
The wood-fired Gaucho Grill is crafted from high-quality stainless steel and built to provide a lifetime of use and enjoyment. Read on for care and cleaning tips to keep your grill performing at its optimal level.
PROTECTING AND CARING FOR YOUR GAUCHO’S GRILLING SURFACES
Before each cooking session:
- Preheat the grill then use a stiff stainless steel grill brush or wooden grill grate scraper to clean the grilling surfaces.
If you don’t have a grate scrape we recommend using stainless steel brushes for cleaning. Do not use brushes or scrapers of other metals with the exception of brass. While brass works, stainless steel lasts longer.
Never use chemicals or steel wool to clean your cooking surfaces as it will cause rust.
CLEANING YOUR LASER-CUT GRILLING SURFACES
Your laser-cut surfaces should be kept clean, dry and black. Treat them as you would a cast iron skillet. The darker the finish, the better.
SEASONING YOUR GRILLING SURFACES
Before using your surfaces for the first time, we recommend they be seasoned with oil. Follow these instructions to season the grilling surfaces:
- Remove the cold surfaces from your grill and use a cloth rag to wipe vegetable oil over the entire surface of each.
- Place the surfaces back into the grill and start your fire. The goal is to turn the surfaces brown. The more you use your grill, the more thoroughly seasoned your surfaces will become. Ideally you want your surfaces to become black and remain that way. Re-season at any time, especially if your grill sits idle for long periods of time.
CLEANING THE EXTERIOR OF YOUR GAUCHO GRILL
Your Gaucho Grill is made from 304 or 316 marine-grade stainless steel that are both very resistant to corrosion. However, while the stainless steel may discolor from the intense heat, this condition is normal.
The most difficult part of cleaning your grill is removing the burnt-on food and grease. Follow these tips to clean the outside of your Gaucho Grill:
- Start by using a degreaser such as Simple Green™ BBQ Cleaner to remove everything that isn't burnt on.
- Next, we recommend using powdered Bar Keepers Friend® with a microfiber cloth and water.
- Follow the grain direction of the stainless steel to avoid scratches. With a little elbow grease, Bar Keepers Friend® will remove most stains and discoloration, but for real problem areas, you can use our Scratch-B-Gone kit.
- Finish by rinsing off all cleaners. Then wait for the grill to dry and apply stainless steel polish such as Claire's.
CLEANING THE INTERIOR OF YOUR GAUCHO GRILL
Make sure to wait until the grill has completely cooled before cleaning. To clean the inside of your Gaucho grill:
- Empty the ash bin before each use. Open the chute and let the ash fall into the cleanout bin. You may occasionally wish to remove the fire grates and thoroughly sweep ash down into the bin.
- Dispose of the ash in an appropriate container, reposition the ash collection bin and close the firebox chute before grilling.
SEASONAL CARE FOR YOUR GAUCHO GRILL
If you don't plan to use your grill for longer than one month, we recommend covering the grill with a Kalamazoo Sunbrella Cover to prevent water collection.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE TIPS
Every few months, we recommend following these maintenance tips to keep your Gaucho Grill in good working order for years to come:
- Clean the exterior of the grill with a degreaser such as Simple Green™ BBQ Cleaner, then Bar Keepers Friend® or A-Ben-A-Qui where needed, then rinse and dry. With a microfiber cloth polish the stainless steel. Follow the grain direction of the stainless steel to avoid scratches.
- Remove the cooking grates and use a brass brush to clean the inside of the grill. Open the chute door and slide any remaining debris down the chute to the ash bin. Empty the ash bin.
- Close the chute door above the ash pan.
- Clean your grill grates following instructions from this care guide.
- Re-season your cooking surfaces. Using a clean rag, wipe vegetable oil on both sides of the cooking grates.
- Lower the track all the way down and replace the grates.
- Install the two-piece stainless steel firebox cover.
- Put on the Gaucho Grill Sunbrella cover.