Roasted Garlic Bread
Chef Michael Chiarello brings a favorite Italian side to the grill.
For the roasted garlic paste:
- Preheat oven to 350°F or cook using indirect heat on the grill.
- Place heads of garlic (cut side up), on a piece of aluminum foil. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Pour olive oil over the top and wrap the foil up tightly. Place in a small ovenproof pan, and into the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cloves just begin to pop out. Remove from the oven and cool.
- To remove the cloves, open the foil and squeeze the lower part of the head of garlic. In a small bowl, mix the cloves to form a paste. At this point the paste can be used or stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
For the roasted garlic bread:
- Mix the butter into the roasted garlic paste.
- Toast both sides of the bread, using a hot grill.
- Spread the roasted garlic butter paste onto the toasted bread.
- Yields 1/2 cup roasted garlic paste.
Roasted Garlic Paste Ingredients:
- 4 whole heads of garlic, top cut off
- Gray salt and pepper, to taste
- Two 6-inch sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Roasted Garlic Bread Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 loaf of good, crusty bread, cut into slices